One important metric to social media marketing is your follower count. You see, the more loyal followers you have that are engaged with your content and brand, the better opportunities you have in achieving favorable outcomes with your content (i.e. shares, website visitors, leads, and sales). Therefore, growing your followers should be ongoing goal and is certainly an important piece to bolstering your social strategy.
We’ve compiled a list of four surefire ways to boosting your social media followers on any network to increase brand awareness, influence, and marketing results. Use this guide to enhance your current plan to make the most of your social media marketing.
#1 Host Fun Social Media Contests
Running different social media contests is a great way to generate buzz and boost exposure around your brand. It gets existing followers interacting with your content while fostering engagement from other users.
A major advantage to holding social contests is its simplicity; it doesn’t require a lot of planning and you can execute it immediately. Also, you allow winners to experience more of your brand by giving away your products or services as prizes. This in itself can generate more customers and loyal fans of your brand.
An easy contest you could host is the “Like My Post to Win Contest”. Simply ask participants to like your post and follow you to enter. This requires using killer hashtags (more on this next) that are branded, trending, and/or relevant to your niche to get more eyeballs on your post. You could also email your list to follow you and repost your content so it appears on their newsfeed to encourage participation.
#2 Leverage Hashtags Appropriately
Hashtags are king on social media, especially networks like Twitter and Instagram. You see, hashtags are how new users locate your posts to connect with you. This powerful tool is ideal to promote your products, services, and events to attract fresh followers and customers to your brand. When you maximize on popular ones that relate to your industry, you’ll increase awareness in the process.
The key, however, is using hastags appropriately so that you’re effective in your social media marketing. When you abuse hashtags, it can discredit your brand and get your content demoted.
Check out these winning tactics to incorporating hashtags:
- Use a tool like Hashtagify.me to find relevant and trending hashtags. Use these in your posts to attract new followers who are searching for those hashtags
- Have a branded hashtag that you use in all of your posts
- Hashtags should be short and contain natural keywords and phrases in order to improve their visibility in search engine rankings
- Do your research and keep abreast of what terms are trending
- When trying out new hashtags, make a note of which ones proved to be popular, and which ones which failed to generate a positive response on your social networks
- Report or respond to breaking news fast, leveraging the trending hashtag
- Utilize a tracking tool that helps you gauge hashtag performance
- Using hashtags on Facebook, however, are not as successful
#3 Share Blog Posts with Your Email List
Outside of your customers, your email subscribers are perhaps some of your promoters. Research shows that they’re 3 times more likely to share your content via social media than visitors from other sources, therefore, involving your list is a great strategy to growing your followers. This only happens, of course, when you’re creating valuable, quality-rich blog content that is deemed “shareable” by your audience.
Here are a few tips to on how to use your blog post to getting more followers:
- When crafting your content, be sure to include social share buttons on each of your blog posts
- Within your email message, use plugins like Click to Tweet where they can “click and share” your post on Twitter. More website visitors increases your chances of gaining more followers
- Give a clear call-to-action to follow you on social media. Use red arrows that point to the social buttons on your blog post
- Simply ask your email list to share your content on social media and to tag you in it
#4 Leverage Influencers’ Followers
One of the fastest ways to growing your social audience and increasing brand awareness is through influencer marketing. In fact, 93% of professionals say influencer marketing is effective for building brand awareness (Source: Chief Marketer).
You see, the posts you make by including an influencer increases its reach exponentially. There’s a better chance people will come across their content…time and time again. When your valuable content and target audience aligns with theirs, it can create a win-win partnership that can help increase your followers and cement your authority in your respective niche.
Although this is more of a long-term strategy, when executed correctly, it will be well worth the investment. Discover influencers in your niche using a tool such as Buzzsumo, and then share their content, tag or mention them, or comment on their blogs. You could personally reach out to these influencers and let them know that you’ve shared their content with your list and social networks. As you build relationships, they are more likely to share your content with their followers.
Consistency is the key to gaining new social media followers on a regular basis. Having a social media management tool can help you monitor conversations around your brand while maintaining an active presence on your networks. Most of these tools have built-in analytics that can gauge follower activity to improve growth in this area.
It’s also critical that you’re clear on knowing exactly what your audience wants so you publish posts that resonates with their interests. When social media users are looking up content via hashtags, you want your posts to “pop out” by being super-relevant. Use compelling titles that captivates and captures the attention of your target market and be sure your content offers solutions to their problems or questions.
Finally, practice good social media etiquettes. Interact with your followers when they engage with your posts. Thank new followers for their interest in your brand. Like (or follow) them back. Be social…because essentially that’s what it’s all about!