There are loads of tips and tricks that can be used to improve your web content, but here are 5 suggestions that any company can easily implement starting today to enhance content quality and it’s impact online.
1. Research Before You Write
You will see remarkable improvement in the content you create if you do a little bit of research before you start writing. Performing research, however mild or in-depth, will expand the reach of your content to new audiences, increase the likelihood that it gets shared across various social channels, and will help it be more competitive.
Honestly, in today’s world, 1000’s of posts are written about any one topic every day, and research can help you differentiate you content just enough to make it stand out amidst all the noise and chatter that goes on here on the web.
2. Numbers, #’s, Numbers
Using numbers in your headlines, subtitles, numbered lists in the body of your content, and including statistics will greatly enhance the chances of someone actually reading, and engaging with your content. Don’t believe me? See what you think of these numbers:
- 78% of CMOs think custom content is the future of marketing
- 86% of B2C marketers use content marketing and 91% of B2B marketers use content marketing
- 64% of B2B content marketers say that their biggest challenege is producing enough content
- Blogs give sites 434% more indexed pages and 97% more indexed links
- Companies that blog 15+ times per month get 5x more traffic than companies that don’t blog
*Stats acquired here.
3. Consider Your Layout
Back in high school or college your teachers and professors probably told you that a good paragraph has between 5-8 sentences. Well…that isn’t the case with web content. You’ll lose A LOT of readers if you drag something on for too long.
Improve your content by writing easily manageable paragraphs. Messages should be upfront, quick, and relatable. Throw in some lists, bullet points, and anecdotes and you’ll be well on your way to increasing both the quality and engagement with your web content.
4. Have a Conversation
Doesn’t anyone know what the word colloquial means anymore? Your content will improve dramatically by making the content approachable. What I mean by that is think about engaging a friend in a conversation when writing web content, as opposed to writing an academic literature review.
Using video, slideshows, images and infographics to spruce up information in 2014 will not only improve your content, it will instantly become more easily shareable, likeable, tweetable, etc.
- Visual content drives engagement
- 40% of people will respond better to visual information than plain text.
- Viewers are 85% more likely to purchase a product after watching a product video.
*Stats acquired here.
Don’t take it from me! Check out this video to hear it from another content marketing professional.
With these 5 techniques, your content will improve in terms of quality, shareability, and reach. You have other ideas of how to improve web content? Leave them in the comments!